Wednesday 9 September 2009

Fighting Grime


This week I have been trying to rid The Eagle's Nest of a nasty little invasion of multicellular filaments of microscopic fungi. Or mould as it's more commonly known. This hadn't really been a problem until recently when an otherwise unnoticed little black spot in the bathroom started getting noticeably bigger, spreading its spores along the bath sealant and even turning a perfectly decent bar of soap (Faith in Nature no less) into a purple and black striped alienlike monstrosity. Apparently, when mould spores begin to grow they digest the material they're growing on for survival. Well that's all very well for the spores but what about our poor bar of soap which is supposed to be cleaning our skin? Yeuch!

Our landlord advised me to buy a bottle of Dettol to kill the mould spores (cheers mate), but rather than spend £3.50 on a bottle of chemicals, I decided instead to investigate more environmentally friendly ways of dealing with the problem. I discovered that clove oil is meant to be one of the best natural solutions, so I can now be found most days with an (expensive) bottle of essential oil in one hand and an old toothbrush/scourer/brillo pad in the other, scrubbing away to my heart's content.

Is it working? Well, I think the black spot's getting smaller, although it is quite hard to tell...... maybe I'll be reaching for that bottle of chemicals after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment