Monday 30 November 2009

Apple Wednesday

It's finally happened. I'm officially an iPhone widow! After 2 years of patiently waiting for Apple to release O2's greedy claws from their exclusive contract, The Partner has finally got his hands on the sleek black accessory of his dreams. You'd think there would be days, weeks, even months of planning how, when and where he was going to get hold of this gadget of beauty. But, no. We were wandering into town on Saturday, when he casually announced "I just want to pop into that Orange shop on the way". Sure thing, I said, little realising that half an hour later he would be walking out of the shop, having signed on the dotted line, with an actual iPhone in his hand!

One of The Partner's friends called while we were "doing the deed" and, on hearing what we were up to, immediately hotfooted it to the Orange shop so he could paw over the gadget of delight himself. I'd always thought The Friend's eyes were brown but on that day they had a definite tinge of green to them.

For the last few days it seems every conversation has featured the words "wifi", "app", "iPhone" and "my baby". This latter term used to be reserved solely for me but it seems I have been replaced. In fact, yesterday, during a viewing of Inglourious Basterds (fantastic film) at The Friend's house, The Partner had a near panic attack when he momentarily misplaced his baby. The relief on discovering said baby in his pocket was audible, if not deafening, and he spent the entire rest of the film with one arm round my shoulders and the other carefully protecting the sacred pocket.

Although an iPhone widow I may be, it's somehow hard not to be impressed by the myriad features, functions and apps that this baby can handle. My grandparents' heads will surely explode if we try to demonstrate these over Christmas lunch. I can just imagine the confusion - "why on earth would you want to use your phone as a lightsaber?" So, a widow I may feel, but my eyes seem to be turning a little green with envy too, and only one question now remains: When will the baby, I mean the iPhone, be available on Vodafone?

2 comments:

  1. Ah sweet princess what a charming post. I must say that you're bearing up quite well under the tragic circumstances. I hope you enjoy the advent calendar iPhone app you downloaded while we were at the duke of York's tonight!

    Sent from my GuyPhone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you darling!

    D'oh, we forgot to "open" the first virtual door this morning. Speaking of which, pinch punch first day of the month and no returns...

    ReplyDelete