Sunday 22 November 2009

Watch The Birdie!

I've been struggling to decide what to write about this week, hence the slight delay. I could write about the painful experience of making myself go to my drawing class on Thursday, only to find halfway through that my inner critic had firmly taken over my brain, shouting obscenities about how rubbish I am and that I'll never be able to draw: I came home in tears. I could write about the led primary class that our yoga teacher gave on Sunday morning, complete with Q&A session about the traditional method of Mysore style Ashtanga, which was very inspiring and really got me thinking about trust, surrender, dedication and our intrinsic search for meaning in our lives.

I could write about all the bad news I've heard this week: people suffering from emphysema, lung cancer, a brain tumour; relationships on the rocks; people in pieces. Or about my job interview. Or about another song I wrote. Or I could write about a weekend away at my grandparents' which left me full of nostalgia, sadness and talk of wills.

But I won't. Instead I'm going to write about birds. Starlings to be precise. Over the West Pier in Brighton. If you've never seen this incredible spectacle, I urge you to take a walk along he promenade at dusk and just take a moment to observe what I can only describe as a stunning natural phenomenon. It really is a sight for sore eyes. Hundreds of tiny winged wonders dancing through the sky as a single, magical entity. They appear to glide effortlessly on the breeze, almost disappearing from view, then suddenly swoop off at top speed in a dark black cloud, as if someone's tugging an invisible string to which they're all attached. It rather reminds me of that scene in Finding Nemo when Nemo and Dory meet the shoal of fish. Any moment I expected the starlings to suddenly form themselves into an arrow or a grumpy face.

And it's not just me who finds this winter murmuration (ooh hark at me) so breathtaking. Hoards of people gather along the seafront to witness this acrobatic display and even the pigeons and seagulls know it's something of a special occasion and seem to want in on the action.

So, another busy week in the life of the Seaside Scribbler then, but the avian beauties win the vote hands (or should that be wings?) down. These birdies really are worth watching....

4 comments:

  1. Have added your blog to my blog. :)

    Are you on Twitter? I'm @cathryanhoward if you are.

    Happy Writing! (And John Mayer listening!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh we've got a funny game of blog tennis going on!

    Cool, have added you to mine too :0)

    Not on Twitter yet but will let you know if I sign up.

    Haven't heard his new album yet, but the name's a bit odd - Battle Studies?! I'm sure it sounds great.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, blog tag going on here...

    I'm actually listening to Battle Studies as I type! I was SO annoyed at him (like he cares! lol) for releasing Who Says as the first single when it isn't very good and sounds NOTHING like the rest of the album. My favourite is 'Assassin'; I've listened to it about 50 times since I got it. (Which, in my defense, was well over a week ago!)

    I really, really, really recommend going on Twitter. HUGE resource for writers and you can advertise your blog. Honestly, I've only been on it seriously for about 3 weeks and you wouldn't believe the great stuff that's been coming my way.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I'm so jealous, can't wait to hear it. Maybe Father Christmas will send it my way....

    Thanks for the Twitter tips, think I better sign up :0)

    ReplyDelete